Budget-Minded Comfort for a 1940s Hollywood Bungalow

Chad Foydl ran his Realtor ragged while house hunting all over Los Angeles. He wanted to find something just right — centrally located with a decent-enough skeleton he could spiff up. The persistance paid off. “I knew the moment I walked into the house that it was for me,” he says.

Like many first-time homeowners, Foydl found decorating and landscaping his new home a challenge at first. “I am not someone who can see how it’s going to look in my head and then make it happen,” he says. “I oftentimes have to redo projects because it didn’t turn out how I wanted.” But after a big push in the garden, a kitchen remodel and some help from friends, he turned his bungalow into a cozy little oasis that’s just right.



“Prior to July of 2010, I had never planted a single thing,” he says. “I went from 0 to 100, and I think I planted over 150 different plants, vines and trees. I can’t say they’ve all survived, but most of them have, and my yards are getting better and better every season.”

He sent climbing vines up every corner of the house to create the vibe of an overgrown cottage garden. Oversize stone pavers cover the backyard. Pictured on the left is a detached garage.



You can see the backyard and patio from the entry. The living room boasts a beautiful fireplace, lots of natural light and hardwood floors.

The tin mirror above the sofa, and the one above the console in the foyer, were made for Foydl by a friend. The green coffee table is an old trunk, also gifted to Foydl by a friend.

Read more…

Popular Posts