Bank on Branches for Beautiful Furniture

My husband and I made an ill-considered and somewhat disastrous move from the city to the country when we were 45 and going through a midlife crisis. The only happy things about it were the chickens in our backyard and the abundance of fabulous twigs that blanketed our acreage.


One day Mike wandered into the back 40 with his pocket knife, and before I knew it we had an intricate, rustic and elegant headboard that he had formed from both single and bundled twigs. It made me very happy, and started my love affair with twigs.



Native American leader Tecumseh said, “A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong. This quotation absolutely applies to furniture, which derives whimsy and appeal from the use of both individual and clumped twigs. Adding branches introduces yet another dimension and another layer of rusticity. The single twigs lighten the look of this welcoming chair, while the branch legs of the table lend a “Don’t worry, I won’t break” sense of solidity.



Painted twigs give this enticing four-poster bed such a romantic aura. Again, the mix of twigs and branches is critical to the magic.



I want to know how they did this! Are the bushlets at the top of each post real? If I were a bird, I would want to nest in them. This bed exhibits a great choice of branches and such a wonderful mix of angular and straight pieces. Well done indeed.


See more of Bank on Branches for Beautiful Furniture



Bank on Branches for Beautiful Furniture

Popular Posts