Bring a Taste of Italy Home With 12 Design Touches

Every other year my family goes on what we call a “big trip.” For our last big trip, my husband chose Tokyo. We had so much fun — Japanese culture is wonderful. This time around it’s my turn, and I’ve chosen Italy. I’m Italian, and I’ve never been to Italy. My ancestors are calling, so I’m ready to answer the call. Got to be a trooper, right?

I love Italian architecture, especially old Tuscan farmhouse style. I love Italian furniture, and the textiles just make my heart race. So you can imagine how excited I am for this trip. There are so many ways to bring the best of Italy to your home. Join me in taking a look at some wonderful Italian touches here.

traditional dining room by Cecilie Starin Design Inc.

1. Textiles. The fabric on this armchair is called Fortuny, named for its designer, Mariano Fortuny. Born in Granada, Spain, Fortuny moved to Venice and remained there until his death in 1949. In his Venetian workshop, he designed textiles, costumes and lighting, and engineered the machines that created his textiles. His workshop still remains today in Venice as a museum.

traditional hall by Linda McDougald Design | Postcard from Paris Home

2. Vintage furniture.This is a vintage Florentine chest of drawers. The finish includes gold leaf detailing. This style of furniture was common in the 1940s and ’50s. Other common pieces in this style are nesting tables, mirrors, picture frames, and trays, called Florentine toleware.

traditional kitchen Traditional Kitchen

3. Rustic accessories. I really love this old bull’s head over the range area. When I was a kid, I loved going to the butcher. (I know, why? Not sure, but my family ran a deli, and I was always around meat.) The butcher my family used was an old Italian guy, and he had a faux bull’s head just like this one in his shop. This is a small touch that says old-world Italian to me.

traditional dining room by Branca, Inc.

4. Formal table settings.I love setting the table. Some of my favorite things my mother ever gave me were several of my grandmother’s vintage Italian tablecloths. I cherish these tablecloths and use them often for family dinners. This apartment in Rome is set beautifully with fresh bread, flowers and Italian linens.


Continue reading.

Popular Posts